Current Event Quiz 1.2

Short Response:

1. How many refugees are staying in the George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston as a result of Hurricane Harvey? Page A1 "Rescue Amid Ruin"
Nearly 5,000 refugees are now staying in the George Brown Convention Center, because of the Hurricane.

2. What are two of the water park features you would find if you headed out to Lake Bastrop this weekend? Page B2 "Inflatable water obstacle course...."

On Lake Bastrop they are having an inflatable water obstacle course and an inflatable waterpark this weekend.

3. Who are the new owners of Whole Foods? Page B5 "New owner slashes Whole Food prices"

The new owners of Whole Foods are Amazon. 

4. What are two of the apps you might download to help you with note taking? Page SC2 "Is your teen unmotivated"
Two apps that I might download to help me note take would probably be Brevity and Typ-o HD.

5. Which of the 11 record stores listed in the story have you been to? Page D2 "A guide to Austin record stores"

I have actually never been to any of those record stores, or any record stores.

Long Response:
1. Do you have anyone in your family impacted by the storms? If so, please tell me who and where.
My Aunt Stormy (ha the irony) wasn't horribly affected, but she does live in Houston. She was going to come stay with us for a while, but she actually took it as an opportunity to go visit my grandparents in New Mexico. She left in the evacuation process, so we aren't sure about her house yet.

2. What steps would you take if you knew there was a major storm about to impact your home?
I would board my house up as much as possible, take what I needed and evacuate with my family. I would hate for my house to get destroyed, but its all just materialistic and I would rather my family be safe.


3. What should the state and federal government be responsible for fixing, once the storm is over 
(I am talking about physically)?
I think they should be responsible for fixing all of the buildings that the government owns and and donating some money to help with the houses.


4. Who should be responsible for paying for private property damages?
I think that maybe if you have insurance, they should definitely pay for what they owe you.Then again there is almost 30 million people in Texas if everyone donated a dollar we could fix the damage, so no one has to worry about not being ok in the long run or getting in tons of debt just because of a storm that they couldn't stop.

5. Do you think climate change played any role in this storm's power and impact on coastal Texas?

Yes, but I don't think its because all the moisture in the air, I believe it is because of the hotter air. After the ocean absorbs the heat, it raises the upper sea levels.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Write: Book Review

Current Events Quiz 4.3

The Dispatch Issue #5