Current Events 5.1

Short Response:

1.  When is the "March for Our Lives" scheduled to occur in Washington according to the story on page 1 "Trump backs stronger gun background checks?
The "March of Our Lives" is scheduled to occur next month in Washington.

2.  What was the name of the gun shop that sold accused shooter Nikolas Cruz his weapon? Page A6 "Shooting puts pressure on Florida lawmakers" (hint: check the sidebar)

The name of the gun shop that sold a gun to the shooter was Sunrise Tactical Supply.

3. What two other UT departments will receive money from Rick Church, besides the band? Page B1 "Keeping the music going for Longhorns"?

The other two UT departments that will receive money from Rick Church are Mechanical Engineering, and Engineering Department.

4. What are the top-3 teams in total medals at the Winter Olympics? Page C5

The top 3 teams in all of the total medals are Norway, Germany, and Canada 

5. What is at the heart of the success of the movie Black Panther, according to the story on page D6? (hint: I am looking for a very specific term used multiple times in the story)
The heart of the success of the movie Black Panther is due to Diversity and capture of pop culture.

Long Response:

Read the story on page SC1 "Solution to smartphone addiction"

The company that is making these cell phone pouches is Yondr, and over 600 American high schools are using them. The concept behind the pouches is to lock your phone away for it to not be used at an event. Some of the side effects of the pouches at San Lorenzo High School were very resulting. Grades have gone up, and there problems with discipline have gone way down. I do think that the pouches can be useful, just for people keeping on track, but for me personally when I'm not paying attention its not because my phone is my distraction. I normally get distracted just by my brain thinking about other things, but I would think it would cause me more distraction because I would forget about the pouches and worry about my phone. And even if I'm not on my phone it kinda just helps knowing you have so like if you need to text you parents or a friend you can without having to go to the office. If Bowie started to use them I don't think I would personally like it, and I can't imagine a lot of my friends would like it either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Free Write: Book Review

Current Events Quiz 4.3

The Dispatch Issue #5